Friday, March 11, 2011

Zudy Mae and the Art of Interruption

Synchronicity is running rampant in my life right now, so I was not surprised when we found the pup of our dreams on Tuesday, after looking for some time.  We were seeking a playmate for our fifteen month old Newfoundland (NEWFus).  And we ended up adopting a three month old Weimeraner pup who we named Zudy Mae (thanks to Debbie McDowell Oberdorf for the name suggestion).

Having gone through the whole puppy experience less than a year ago, I was prepared for the chaos and upheaval in our household.  But for some reason, this experience has been a little different.  There is plenty of chaos, mind you.  NEWFus runs Zudy Mae down constantly and sits on her like a Sumo wrestler. 
Not being the perfect pack leader, I have gone hoarse from yelling at him to get off of her.  (I’ve also pulled him off plenty of times, but he is the size of a small horse and twice as strong.  And yelling seems to be more therapeutic.)  There is a constant race around our kitchen island as the small pup tries to outrun the giant and find a low place from which to wage her return battle.  I’ve spilled my coffee, been knocked off my feet, and been hit in the head by the storm door while trying to get at least one of them outside.
But back to the point.  I’ve actually found all the interruptions helpful to my writing.  Ideas are flying in just as the pup broadsides me in the backyard while sailing through the air with a leaf in her mouth.  Watching her romp has reminded me of the need for play in my own life.  She’s a very serious little dog, but she knows how to cut loose.  I’m in serious mode also, trying to finish my first novel.  I could use more of that cutting loose stuff.
When I’ve been sitting too long doing tedious editing, Zudy Mae wakes up from her nap and I’m forced to get my butt out of the chair and go outside.  Once I get there, my mind relaxes and I see things in a different way.  My plots come together, my characters get more interesting, and my words dance more freely.  She’s also rebuilding my confidence, because if I can manage these two dogs all day while my husband is at work, I can do absolutely anything.

Zudy Mae is teaching me that interruptions are good, necessary even.  And maybe, just maybe, interruptions are what life is all about.  It certainly seems to be where some of the good stuff comes from.  As John Lennon said, “Life is what happens to you when you’re busy making other plans.”  I wish you many interruptions, and I’d love to hear how you feel about them…
Marianne Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://www.writerattheranch.com/
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com





2 comments:

  1. I don't mind daily interruptions. It is those nightly interruptions that mess up my beauty sleep I don't like. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're still lookin' pretty good, Dwayne! :)

    ReplyDelete