Friday, October 7, 2011

It's a Jungle in Here








Plants, plants everywhere
Leaves in my crazy hair
Grasshoppers running ‘round
No blank square footage to be found.





That about sums it up, but I still don’t understand why it makes my husband so nutso.  I mean, I’d love to have a greenhouse, but I don’t yet.  If you read last week’s piece on Transitioning, you know how the end of the growing season affects me.

So what if every year about this time I decide that I can’t let my plants die, and I bring them in for over-wintering?  What is all this vertical space for if not for hanging plants?

Elvis had a Jungle Room, and it’s everyone’s favorite.  Why can’t I?  I know when we brought all these ferns home that I said I’d let them go at the end of the season, but I just can’t be held to that promise when they’re all green and bushy and have names.



Once we get the ferns hung, we’ll be able to soak in the corner tub again.  And think about how plants improve air quality.  We need plenty of that due to all the animals in the house. (And that’s the stuff for another blog piece…)

I can multi-task by talking to my plants while I’m on the treadmill.  So what if I have to move them to turn the treadmill AND the music on?



And ducking under the banana plants to get into your office is good stretching, I tell him.

I will admit that some of the containers are rather heavy, and that bringing them in is no picnic.  But they give me an instant start to my garden next year, and it makes my husband so happy when we move them back outside!

Once he became a Master Gardener I thought this aversion to plants in the house would go away, but he remains stalwart.  It was easier when we had a larger domain.  I’ll grant you that.

But once all the green comes inside I feel so much better.  And it’s all about me, right? And of course I’m saving the planet, one plant at a time.

Do you have trouble like this with your spouse or significant other?  I’d love to commiserate, just as soon as I catch some of these grasshoppers and release them into the wild...

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

4 comments:

  1. Elvis had a jungle room. You have a jungle house!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwayne S: Breathe deeply! Take in all that fresh air and greenery. If that doesn't work, I'll make you some Hibiscus tea to mellow you out :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is hysterical. I love it, Marianne - and I think your points are all valid (and expertly debated). I bet it changes the whole feel of the house. And it definitely shows your devotion to the plants. So I'm not the only one who names them?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melissa Crytzer Fry: Oh, how I LOVE people who agree with me! Thanks for the moral support. Hey, that might be a good sideline for writers like us--naming plants and other beings :)

    ReplyDelete