Friday, July 20, 2012

Why Sarcasm is a Brilliant Form of Communication

from wehearit.com

Many think that sarcasm is just veiled anger, and try to avoid it all costs.  However, I find it exceedingly therapeutic.  I suppose it helps if the person you are thrusting it upon has a sense of humor.

Some go so far as to call it the lowest form of wit.  But I totally disagree.  Humor, irony, satire and understatement can be some of the most interesting forms of communication, if not always the most delicate.  But I think the deciding factor in whether sarcasm is evil (and sometimes it is) depends on the intent of the sarcasticator (and yes, I made that word up).

Some relationship experts say that sarcasm is an attempt at dominance, sort of a top-dog syndrome.  But I prefer to think of it as a clever form of self-defense.


http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u159/kmbrly823/Sarcasm/big_1210917.jpg


In my own experience, sarcasm often keeps me from killing people who are being stupid or unkind.  A sarcastic retort can sometimes confuse people.  After all, you are dishing out the opposite response from what is expected.  The lull can give you time to disengage from the stupid or unkind and keep you from landing in jail.
 

Sarcasm can also be a gentle form of self-deprecation.  It gives you a chance to poke fun at yourself instead of beating yourself over the head with the nearest blunt object.

My husband and I enjoy several good rounds of mocking banter daily.  You could say that we are sarcasm SME’s.  I will admit that it is easier to get snarky with someone you are comfortable with, and sometimes we do get a little carried away.  But that happens with all forms of communication.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i110/Majesticpegasus23/sarcasm.jpg


Our collective fascination with social media has even brought about something called “The Sarcastic Font Movement.”  This is a perhaps futile attempt at making sure your sarcasm will not be overlooked online.  If there is an established movement, it must be important, right?

How do you feel about sarcasm?  No really, I’d LOVE to know! J  Please feel free to leave an especially sarcastic comment.


Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

5 comments:

  1. I am not particularly adept at sarcasm, my children are experts. I do appreciate witty commentary and have enjoyed your wry observations on a misunderstood form of expression.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MP! Sarcasm does seem to come naturally to children, doesn't it? And when they combine it with the dreaded eye roll--watch out!

      Delete
  2. That was very clever, insightful and witty writing.

    Okay, now what font should I put that in to show I mean just the opposite??

    ;o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Russ! (I think...)
      Why, you use sartalics, of course: http://sartalics.com/

      Delete
  3. Actually, I'm great with sarcasm, but I was always too mean with it I think. Plus, since I have a high IQ people thought I was being "above them" often. In my old age I've adopted self-deprecating humor and that works better for me personally. I still enjoy listening to well-crafted sarcasm of course. All of the great comedians are adept at it. I just don't practice it myself as often...

    ReplyDelete