Friday, November 2, 2012

Keep on Dreamin’

http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n275/xrunicxrejectx/melodramtic/dream.jpg
Last night my husband and I were watching the Country Music Awards on television.  The Eli Young Band performed “Even If It Breaks Your Heart’” (keep on dreamin') and something clicked for me.


Big dreams usually involve big sacrifices and tons of hard work.  Along the way, it’s easy to get beaten down and decide it’s just not happening.  In fact, most days these thoughts loom, and we push them back down.  Sometimes they do more than loom:  They scream, they yell, they threaten to take our dreams away.


Many things can make us rethink our dreams.  Is it fair to our family, especially in this dismal economy? Is it a pipe dream, anyway, not likely to happen in the best of circumstances (and these days are not the best, now, are they?)?


If we didn’t get it right the first five times, it is really sensible to begin again and think things will be different?  Do we even have the connections, skill, and talent we need to succeed?


And the enthusiasm required for facing each new day with gusto, holding our dream firmly in mind?  Sometimes that takes way more than two cups of coffee and some positive affirmations.


http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s91/Metalhead118/Anguish_by_Metalhead118.jpg



So why don’t we just settle down and do something sensible?


I’m not sure there is a rational answer to that, but there is an emotional answer.  Dreams keep us hopeful and moving towards our perception of being our best self.   They answer the question:  If I could truly be myself, what would that look like?


And if we get right down to it, chasing our dreams is essentially our journey here on this planet.  So if we let them go, we’re kind of cashing in some of our humanity.


If you’re a Baby Boomer like me, it’s easy to say that the dream-chasing years are gone, and we need to focus on stability and retirement.  But we know, deep down, how easily those resources can be wiped out.  And then we’re left with what?


Can you define your big dream(s)?  It’s something worth thinking hard about.  After all, it points you in the direction of being your best self.  And no one else can define what that looks like but you.


I’d love to hear your thoughts.  Please feel free to comment.



Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time


7 comments:

  1. Wow - I have stopped chasing any dreams. Your statement that giving dreams up is cashin =g on some humanity - so insightful. You've made me think. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I can't type. meant to put cashing in...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. MPK: I'm always excited when I can stir the pot a little. I KNOW you have some great dreams left to chase!

      Delete
  3. I feel like I have been SENSIBLE all my life. I've had some rough times and some good times and find mytself worrying about just about everything there is to worry about. I have come to the conclusion that you can only do the best you can do .... you can worry about the election results, but you have one vote so you can make sure you use it, you can worry about the weather but there isn't a heck of a lot you can do except stay warm, dry and safe. THEN you can be thankful that you CAN be warm, dry and safe and quit worrying! I can go on and on about what you can worry about but it definitely doesn't help the situation. You can only take a deep breath and make the leap to follow your dreams. I am doing that right now. I'm opening my chocolates and muffin shop and am hoping that people will like what I sell. If I stayed in the "sensible" mode I would have never attempted this. However, I shoved the "sensible" side of me in a closet and don't plan to open that door for a long time! I'm also very lucky to be married to a wonderful man who is helping me with my dream and supporting me in every way. I know he is still wondering "what hit him" when he married me 15-1/2 years ago, but he seems to be coping pretty well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina: Definitely cheering for you and your new venture!!! A supportive spouse can definitely make a huge difference. And I hear you about the worrying--it kills a lot of dreams before they ever get off the ground! Good for you for charging ahead, anyway!!!

      Delete
  4. I've tried to think of what I 'dream' about and at this time in my life, I feel fortunate that I have made most of my dreams come true. If wanting to just stay in good health, do good for others and enjoy each and every day is a dream--well, there you have it "My Dream."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stingray: Sounds like a perfect dream to me! How wonderful that you have made most of your dreams come true!!

      Delete