Friday, June 3, 2011

How to Get More Done In the Pool

My new mantra has three R’s:
Recharge.
Rejuvenate.
Reinvent.















After years of chronically working my to-do list in a frenzied state, I have discovered the benefits of stepping away.  Today, for example, I am floating in the pool during my “lunch hour.”  And I'm getting so many things done that it’s not funny.

 I’m writing my next blog post, and I’ve fully outlined an article I’m working on.  I’m giving my puppies some “alone time” so they won’t develop separation anxiety.  I’ve cleaned the pool (much more fun while in it than doing it from the outside later on in the heat).  I’ve gotten some exercise swimming laps.  I’ve taken a floating power nap after swimming.  I’ve achieved an unhealthy glowJ.  And best of all, I’m not sitting—as sitting kills.

I’ve finally realized that nose to the grindstone just wears out the nose.  I’m learning to work smarter, not harder or longer.  And if you’re not a swimmer (and I’m certainly no Michael Phelps, but some easy strokes work for me), go for a walk.  Play fetch with your dog.  Go shopping on your lunch hour.  Play a few holes of Frisbee golf.  Just find something that makes you feel clear, light, and happy.  With apologies to Coca-Cola, it’s the pause that refreshes.


And if you’re thinking you’re too busy to take a break, then I’m really gonna challenge you to take one.  Because when you get overwhelmed and frustrated, your brain stagnates.  You begin to tense and worry.  These are not conducive states to getting things done or generating great ideas.

So c’mon people, F5!  (Refresh!  Refresh!  Refresh!)  Get up, get away, and go new places with your work and your life!  And I’d love to hear about what works for you, if you’re inclined to share your experience.  Please feel free to leave a comment.  And if I don't reply right away--no worries!  I'm probably in the pool working.

Marianne Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time

http://writerattheranch.com/
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com



No comments:

Post a Comment