Friday, November 11, 2011

Connecting with Craft

Recently, I discovered a gem in the middle of nowhere:  Joe L. Evins Appalachian Center for Craft in Smithville, TN.  Appalachian Center for Craft is a satellite campus of Tennessee Tech, and offers undergraduate degree programs, certificate programs, and workshops for the general public.  They also host exhibitions in their stunning gallery, and several special events every year.  And they have one of the finest craft gift shops I have ever seen, as well as a remarkable café with its own full-time chef.

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab106/knight100_2010

And although I’m doing some paid marketing work for them, this is an unpaid endorsementJ.

In case you think I left the “s” off the word craft, I have learned that craft (no “s”) is now politically correct.  Think high-end craft: artistry, skill, genius.  The best way I can explain the uniqueness of this place is to have you take a look at the workshop schedule.  Go ahead and click the link and scroll down.

If that’s not enough inspiration for you, the location itself will ignite your creativity.  It’s set on over 500 wooded acres on Center Hill Lake.  I’ve posted quite a few pics of Center Hill Lake on my Facebook wall, so you may already be familiar with its beauty.  But here’s a recent photo, just in case:


Photo by Marianne M. Smith

I think I was taken with the magic of the Center, which is palpable.  And the fact that it’s buried in the middle of a forest on the ridge of a magnificent lake puts it over the top.

Personally, I’ve always been smitten with the notion of functional art, which, to me, is craft.  Defining art versus craft is tricky, and probably the subject for a separate blog post.  But I love using hand thrown pottery for daily meals, keeping my magazines in a hand forged metal basket, and wearing a one-of-a-kind wrap woven from fleece that came from our own farm.

Some may argue with me, but I believe that the things we choose to surround ourselves with should be beautiful.  If you admire something every time you use it, that is really something.


A piece of pottery in my own collection that still delights me after 25 years

And taking it one step further, if you can learn to create your own beautiful functional objects, well then… 

If you’re ever heading towards Knoxville on I-40, you should consider taking a few hours to explore the Appalachian Center for Craft.  You’ll be both impressed and inspired.  And if you need a creative summer getaway, be sure to think about their longer workshops.  You can stay on site for the entire workshop and eat that incredible food I mentioned.  And you'll be cementing your own connection to craft!

How do you view craft in your own life?  I’d love to hear about it.  Please feel free to leave a comment.

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

2 comments:

  1. I visited the Center when I stayed in Waynesville. Thought about one of the long, stay over classes, but never did it. Too bad for me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stingray: You should definitely take a class! I know you would love it and it would be the perfect excuse for a good visit!

    ReplyDelete