Friday, February 24, 2012

Pondering Self-Sufficiency


http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm54/energymash/Self-Sufficiency.jpg








What if you could grow your own food, build your own house, and live largely off-grid?  That’s a notion that seems to be taking over my mind these days.  Some of it may be driven by the recession, but I think there are larger concerns at play.


I’d love to eat fresh, untainted food year-round.  And I’ve found lots of satisfaction in assisting with building projects.  Living off-grid would mean keeping more money in my pocket for the areas that I can’t manage sustainably (toilet paper, internet access, and doctor bills come to mind).  Of course, good old-fashioned barter is also an honorable path to obtain goods and services you can’t produce yourself.  And there's always the concept of a co-operative.

The big question, I guess, is exactly why would I want to take on more projects and work than I already have?  It would be a lot easier to go out to eat, live in a dwelling with square rooms built by someone else, and just flip the light switch on.


Photo by Marianne McTighe Smith


The last few years, my husband and I have grown some of our own food, and we’ve found it very rewarding.  Between the gardening supplies and water bills, I can’t honestly say that it’s cheaper; but it’s fresher, healthier, and insanely gratifying.  I marveled at the loofah I grew last summer, and I enjoy cooking with herbs and veggies picked right outside our door.  Composting has surprised me by becoming a contemplative practice.


http://i419.photobucket.com/albums/pp272/jonboy_01/jersey.jpg

We’re considering adding laying chickens, milk cows, and more goats to our small farm.  But I haven’t quite been able to fully commit.  Some days the lure of nearby Center Hill Lake and the need for a serious vacation dominate my thoughts.  Milking twice daily and gathering eggs/caring for more critters is not always appealing.  Yet I can’t quite picture myself on the lake without a garden or farm animals, either.  In a perfect world, I’d find us a farm on the water.  But I digress. 

Many farmers are turning towards solar power to run their animal operations.  It just makes sense.  And designing your own dwelling to suit your unique needs and becoming more self-sufficient in the process?  Well, that’s something I can get excited about.


http://i590.photobucket.com/albums/ss341/one800_collect/DSC00345.jpg

Have you ever considered what self-sufficiency would look like?  You don’t have to go whole hog; baby steps can definitely be meaningful.  I’d love to hear your thoughts on the subject.

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

2 comments:

  1. That thought just runs thru my head without sticking.....age probably. Now camping for a time--I can still go for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stingray: I hear ya! If I weren't already tied down, I wouldn't be considering all this. But as long as I can't get away, I might as well eat and live better--at least that's my current thinking. Jury is definitely still out. And getting older does play a factor, as you pointed out. We think about that a lot.

      Delete