Friday, May 11, 2012

Garden Philosophy 101

Photo by Marianne M. Smith







Spending a lot of time lately in our garden, and I'm struck by how much gardening parallels life’s struggles.



As I weed, I throw out what I don’t want to make more room for what I do want.  As I plant, I sow seeds for a future harvest, but there is no immediate payoff.  As I water, I consider what it takes to makes things grow and I’m constantly paying attention to the condition of what I have planted.

When things don’t turn out as expected for whatever reason, I pull them out and begin again.  (A lot of beautiful things in the garden begin and end in manure, just like they do in everyday life.)

In our garden I experience hope, joy, disappointment and regret, just as I do in daily life.  It’s a very tangible way to ground myself.


Photo by Marianne M. Smith

The expectation of discovering something new as I walk in our garden is gratifying.  Each day brings something different: something growing, something blooming, something dying.

 I’m always evaluating: Are the conditions right for this plant?  Should I move it?  Should I water it?  Am I overwatering it?


Photo by Marianne M. Smith

Sometimes I think the lesson is to pay this much attention to everything in my life.  Honesty is required when assessing climate, soil, and water.  Taking things for granted doesn’t usually work too well in the garden.

What’s your experience of time spent in the garden?  I’d love to hear about it.  Feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email.
Oh, I found myself humming this old tune while writing this post.  Thought you might enjoy giving it a listen (just click the link).

 

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment