Friday, October 5, 2012

Schnoz Transportation

Photo by Marianne M. Smith
Have you ever been transported somewhere else by your schnoz?  I was walking in our pasture yesterday when suddenly I was back in Girl Scouts.  At Girl Scout camp we were allowed to “select” our evening chore, and I always chose finding the centerpieces for our dinner tables.



With great enthusiasm, I would set out to find interesting sticks, wildflowers, odd rocks, and whatever else I could come up with.  I enjoyed the finding much more than the arranging, but it was all fun.



But how did I get there from walking in the pasture?  I remember smelling something earthy and slightly off (but not manure), and then I was unconsciously picking up turkey feathers.  I wandered until I found myself within about twenty feet of a flock of wild turkeys.  They were as startled as I was!


I froze, and realized that I was gripping turkey feathers tightly in my right hand.  I’m not sure if the turkeys thought I was a turkey too because of the feathers I was holding (they’re not known for their brains), or if they were worried that I was going to pluck them bald-headed, but nobody moved.  I enjoyed watching them for a few moments, and then decided to back away slowly and give them their space.



Photo by Dwayne Smith


There are lots of smells that remind me of other places and times:  White Shoulders perfume takes me back to my babysitting days—the toddlers’ Moms all wore it.  Magnolias in bloom take me all the way back to my childhood.  Garden soil instantly takes me back to my great-grandmother, as does mint.  Grapefruit takes me back to college, because I had read that it improved memory!  My Belgian mare has the most wonderful smell in the world, and I find it extremely comforting.  Probably not surprising, since horses and donkeys have always been my refuge.


What smells bring back strong memories in your own life?  What transports you and what do you think of?  Please feel free to share your own experiences.  I’d love to hear from you!


Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

2 comments:

  1. The smell and act of cooking real popcorn takes me back to my high school job at the Grand Ole Opry House working in the concession stand making popcorn. The microwave bag version just isn't the same in smell or taste.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wondered why you always prefer to go to the trouble of making it fresh! Not that I mind :) Smell and memory are indeed powerful motivators!

      Delete