Friday, March 1, 2013

Letting Things Happen Versus Making Things Happen



photobucket.com/albumhttp://i1341.photos/o749/Calidoscopio/Animals
%20Planet/Dog/perromeditandoanimal_zpsa7091e6a.jpg[/IMG]
Perhaps it’s a midlife issue, but there is a philosophical quandary that keeps looming large in my life:  Do I make things happen or let things happen?  I’m not talking about being a passive victim, but of being open to accepting the way things shake out.


I do understand that sometimes you need to set things in play to make them happen.  But then if they don’t happen, should you be assertive or even aggressive about forcing things to happen just like you’d like?  Or should you just let go and get out of the way and see what happens next?


As a person of faith, I like to think that things will work out in the end.  But sometimes I still try to force things.  There is so much emphasis these days on staying motivated, charging forward, and all the stuff that goes along with chasing goals and making things happen in a difficult economy.


I’m trying hard to be more zen-like, but it’s disturbingly confusing.  There is definitely a dance involved; it’s difficult to know when to push and when to rest. Wisdom is elusive.


Photo by Marianne M. Smith

It seems to me that you can be so motivated and driven that you miss some of the best things in life because you didn’t “let” them happen.  The impatient among us (did I mention myself?) don’t seem to know how to hang out in time and space while life moves along as it will.


Are you a "make it happen" or a "let it happen" person?  Or both?  I’d love to hear from you.  Please feel free to leave a comment.  And thanks for reading!

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time

4 comments:

  1. I think I'm a bit of both! If I keep hitting brick walls trying to make things happen, I back off, but still try to work towards my dream/goal.
    I'm not always the most patient person, but can be if its for the good of my dreams! Good things come to those who wait. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for commenting, Kim! Good to hear from you! I like your idea of backing off and trying again later; sometimes it is all about the timing, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. Touche - timing IS everything. Knowing when to back off and try another angle later sometimes works for me. Love to read your ponderings.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, MPK! I have a lot of trouble with that backing off idea, which is probably why I should try it more often! :)

      Delete