Friday, March 30, 2012

15 Ways to Get Meaningful Information from Your Dreams


http://media.photobucket.com/image/dream%20images/0401coralie2007/images.jpg?o=4


Dreams can be perplexing, profound, and downright weird.  But if you read last week’s blog post on synchronicity, you know that I’m fascinated with that kind of stuff.  I’m a retired dream therapist, but try to tell that to my unconscious mind!



Over the years I’ve accumulated some dream tips that have really worked for me, and I thought you might find them helpful.  Enough chit-chat!  Here ya go:

1.   Prepare to dream.  Put a journal and a pen on your nightstand, even if you don’t feel like you’re much of a writer.


2.   Establish your intention.  Ask for a dream before you drift off to sleep.  You can do this silently, in case your partner might commit you.


http://media.photobucket.com/image/dream%20journal/mysticx08xglow/

3.   Remain in the same position you woke up in and record the dream.  Any movement at all will affect your recall.  I don’t completely understand this, but I swear it is true.


4.   When recording your dream, write as fast as you can and do not edit.  I repeat: Do not edit, no matter how ludicrous or offensive the dream seems.  Remember, you are dealing with your unconscious mind.  You are not responsible for its content.


5.   Do not immediately share your dream with anyone.  Let it simmer for awhile.


6.   Honor your dream by spending some time with it, drawing images from it or journaling about it, and respecting it as a sincere communication from your unconscious mind.


7.   It’s ok to share your dream after you’ve spent some time holding it as your own.


8.   If sharing your dream, look for the “aha factor” when someone else comments on what the dream might mean.  Does it spark something in you?  Does it feel right?  Never let anyone else define what your dream means.


9.   Look at your dreams in a sequence.  They are often more interesting that way, and their message(s) will become clearer.  Ask for another dream the following night and see what happens.  Look at dreams in threes.


10. Watch for significant dreams when you are experiencing major life events (i.e. trying to make a big decision, starting a new job, getting married or having a child, getting a divorce or experiencing a traumatic loss).


11. Watch for recurring symbolism in your dreams.  When you see it, pay more attention.


http://media.photobucket.com/image/dream%20images/LolliePopperBaby/images-3.jpg?o=43

12. Ask for a solution to your problems in your dreams.  Einstein and Mozart often got great new information this way, and you can too.  I have personally learned things that I am certain I didn’t know before in my dreams.


13. Look at the people in your dreams symbolically; who do they represent?  Get past who you know them to be and see if they are symbolizing a particular trait or concept in the dream.


14. If you don’t understand a dream, don’t worry.  Your unconscious mind will keep repeating the theme until you can grasp it.  Isn’t that cool?


15. Thank your unconscious mind for the information you receive.  It does respond to gratitude and will reward you with greater insights.

      I’ve found that paying attention to my dreams has enriched my life in countless and remarkable ways.  I wish that for you.  Sweet dreams!

I’d love to hear about your own dreaming experiences.  Feel free to comment or email me at the address in my signature below.

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

1 comment:

  1. I heard that if you realize you are dreaming, try to look at your hands in your dream. I tried this once and started having real fun in the dream. They say it is a way to control your dreams, if that is possible.

    ReplyDelete