Friday, March 16, 2012

Noticing: Seeing Things Differently


Photo by Marianne McTighe Smith


With the unofficial arrival of spring in the Deep South (official arrival is this Tuesday), I’ve found that I’m taking time to notice things in a different way.  Suddenly I am obsessed with the shape of trees, for example.  I’ve always been drawn to trees, but now it’s their shapes that have my attention.




I can give you a more practical example.  My husband and I just bought a Honda Odyssey—a minivan (Egad!) we had scarcely noticed before.  Suddenly, we see them everywhere we go; they seem to be coming out of the woodwork.

Photo by Marianne McTighe Smith


These seemingly innocuous thoughts coincide with some reading I’ve been doing that focuses on this simple concept:  You will FIND what you pay attention to.  Looking for prosperity?  Then you will notice opportunity.  Looking for peace? Then you may notice chances to slow down and be content.  Depressed about your desperation?  Then that is what you will see everywhere that you look.

Photo by Marianne McTighe Smith


The simple act of noticing can be life-changing, or at least transformational.  What are you really paying attention to in your life?  Generally, actions seem to follow thoughts, right?

If you can slow down long enough to really notice, what is grabbing your attention? 

Photo by Marianne McTighe Smith


I’d love to hear about what you’re paying attention to these days.  Please feel free to leave a comment.

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com

wordsmith@writerattheranch.com


1 comment:

  1. Lovely, great thought. I'll get back to you on what I'm thinking.....

    ReplyDelete