Friday, June 29, 2012

7 Ways to Procrastinate NOW

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u46/DominicaCH/Various/BCmillandgun.jpg

Maybe it’s due to the extreme heat we’ve been enduring here in the Deep South, but I’ve been working overtime thinking about what else I can put off until tomorrow.


I’ve done an incredible job of avoiding the keyboard this week, and right now that’s how I earn my living--or attempt to.  We also have a hobby farm and a million chores associated with that, and I’ve delayed most of those as well.  It was only when I saw that temps were climbing steadily to 105 degrees that I finally decided to harvest the cool crops in our garden.  Ahem. 

So now that I’ve become a SME (subject matter expert) in the art of procrastination, I thought I’d share some of my favorite techniques for putting off what really needs to be done NEXT:

1.   Cook something that necessitates that you hang around in the kitchen.  I baked bread  and pretended to be watching to make sure my husband didn’t slam the kitchen door.


2.   Wash and dry all your laundry.  Now this is a drastic choice, but you will have the most wrinkle-free laundry ever if you sit by the dryer until it buzzes.  (You can repeat this process all day if you have procrastinated sufficiently on beginning this chore.)


3.   Ignore all your own work by helping someone else with theirs.  I used up a couple of days recently helping my husband with his auction business.



http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f79/angelicanrose30/procrastination.jpg



4.   Orchestrate your own panic attacks by frequently revisiting how much you are not getting done.


5.   Sit down to make to-do lists and goal spreadsheets and immediately let your ADD/ADHD send you into another room in search of something that you can’t seem to find/remember.  Wander aimlessly.

http://i584.photobucket.com/albums/ss284/wallmauler/Procrastination.gif



6.   Focus on your guilt and let that spiral into a mountain of negative self-talk, which will completely paralyze you.


7.   And my absolute favorite way to procrastinate:  Write (or read?) a useless blog about procrastination! J
What are your favorite ways to procrastinate?  I’d love to hear them NOW J


Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com


4 comments:

  1. Way to go.....procrastinate. Do you need an intervention? Don't wait for me, I'm just putting you on my 'list.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stingray: Hmmmmmmm...Do I need an intervention? That's an excellent question! Let me ponder it a bit. :) I'll let you know LATER...

      Delete
  2. Hmmm... I suppose I'm glad to be lazy instead of a procrastinator. It's not that I don't procrastinate, but usually I just blow everything off outright. As a bum I feel like I can at least get in some rest here and there... Procrastination just seems to add to the overall workload.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Russell: I hadn't considered blowing everything off outright! That's absolutely brilliant! And you're correct--procrastination is SUCH work! Thanks for chiming in!

      Delete