Friday, June 15, 2012

Garden Humor

Photo by Marianne M. Smith



Maybe it’s because we’re making a potting bench from pallets this week, but I’ve been giggling a lot in the garden.

No matter how serious life gets, I find that it’s easy to regain my sense of humor in our garden.  Perhaps it’s because I get grounded (no pun intended, really!), or it could be the fresh air and the sense of freedom I feel while hanging out with the plants; somehow things just seem lighter outside.



Whether you like quirky garden gnomes or whimsy less traveled, consider adding something to your garden that makes you chortle.  If others laugh, too, that’s an added bonus.  Most visitors love to find something totally unexpected while exploring your garden.  But install something that makes YOU smile every time you see it.  And when the grins wear off, try something new.  It makes all the hard work of serious gardening a little less daunting.


Photo by Marianne M. Smith

And while we’re being silly, how about some garden humor?
Why do melons have fancy weddings? Because they cantaloupe.  

What do you call a country where people only drive pink cars? A pink carnation.

   
"I do not like broccoli.  And I haven't liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I'm President of the United States and I'm not going to eat any more broccoli."
        -  George Bush, U.S. President, 1990

"My wife's a water sign.  I'm an earth sign.
        Together we make mud."
        -  Rodney Dangerfield 
  

     
Ok, I’ll stop!  But be sure to bring a little fun into your landscape!  Hope you’ll share your favorite garden humor.  Please feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email.



Photo by Marianne M. Smith

Thanks to these two sources for the gardening jokes:
http://home.golden.net/~dhobson/Jokes.html
http://www.gardendigest.com/humor.htm
Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com



2 comments:

  1. Jeannine DickersonJune 15, 2012 at 8:02 AM

    Love it, Marianne!! We could use your help in our garden/yard! Thanks for brightening my day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to be of service, Jeannine! :) I LOVE visiting gardens--get so many great ideas AND have a lot of fun! I'm almost a professional garden crasher! And yeah, in my next life I'd love to do landscape makeovers...

      Delete