Friday, August 3, 2012

Embracing Boredom


http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t229/wideeyedwonder_photo/boredom.jpg







I like solitude more than most people, but I’ve been bored out of my gourd lately.  Most everything I love to do is outside, and the prolonged heat wave we’ve been experiencing here in the Deep South has made me a hostage of air conditioning.

 



But I’ve found that extreme boredom forces you to think creatively in self-defense.  I’m starting to realize it might even be wise to embrace the boredom whenever it shows up.



Boredom lowers your expectations, causing your stress level to go down.  You suddenly have time for all the things you’ve needed to do, but have been too busy to attempt; you have time to brush your dog, practice playing guitar, watch the rain, read a book, or give yourself a pedicure.


And then?  What if you’re still so bored that you think your head will explode?  Or maybe implode?


Think of it this way:  You’ve opened up all kinds of “head room” for something new and original to emerge.  If you can tolerate hanging out with boredom long enough, something fascinating will show up, ending cranium drought.


http://i143.photobucket.com/albums/r137/soulsketches/solitude.jpg
 

Boredom leads to breakthroughs. 


There’s really something to this, I promise.  Give it a try (embracing the boredom, rather than fighting it) and let me know what your experience is.  Feel free to leave a comment or shoot me an email.  I'd love to hear from you!


Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

2 comments:

  1. Boredom. Don't know what it is. When you get my age, there's not enough time to do what you want to do. Whatever works is fine with me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Stingray: How wonderful that you don't experience it! I'm rarely bored, but when I am, it hits me like a ton of bricks!

      Delete