Friday, August 24, 2012

Good Things I’ve Learned from a Bad Economy

http://i682.photobucket.com/albums/vv185/rethjack/Recession.jpg

The current economy is definitely not my friend, but it has taught me some valuable lessons.

Here’s my top ten list:
1.       I don’t have to have the latest and greatest gadget/clothes/furniture/whatever.  I probably never did.
2.      I can grow my own food, which is much healthier and tastes better.  I’m also into growing things I’ve never eaten before.  It’s *almost* like going out to a fancy restaurant and trying something novel on the menu.
3.      Creativity is a viable strategy for dealing with chaos.  The nuttier things get, the more creative I become. (Necessity really IS the mother of invention.)
4.      Hand-crafted goods are amazing.  We’ve made interesting and unique furniture from pallets, cable spools, and whatever else we can find in our barn.  Upcycling is cool!  When something breaks or wears out, my first thought is:  “What can I do with this next?”
5.      Barter is a great way to get what you need or want.  If you missed my blog post on bartering , be sure and give it a read.
6.      Keep your sense of humor.  Some days it will be the only real defense you have.
7.      Community is important.  Stay in touch with those who matter to you.  If you missed my blog post on Why Good Friends Are More Important Than Ever, read it here.
8.      I have cemented my earlier conviction that self-reliance and sustainability are good and necessary.
9.      I’m finding novel ways to foster optimism, even when it is illogical.
10.   I constantly remind myself that I’m making a life, if not a living.  I may not have as much paid work as I'd like, but I’m keeping busy with meaningful hobbies and expanding my knowledge base.


http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm91/zennywiser/Recession.jpg


I’d love to hear your take on how you deal with the current economy.  Please feel free to leave a comment.
Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment