Friday, February 1, 2013

The Promise of Spring


[IMG]http://i989.photobucket.com/albums/af15/labwriter/Daffodils_waiting.png[/IMG]

Yesterday, for the first time in what seems to be an exceptionally long winter, I allowed myself to think about the promise of spring.


Maybe it’s because the days have begun to get just a tad longer, but I’m finally able to think about spring without adding an eye roll and a “You wish!”


My logical mind knows it’s still a long way off, but my emotional side loves being on the downhill curve.  Until now, I have not allowed myself to luxuriate in the warmth of seed catalogs and greenhouse plans; it would have been too cruel a fate.


But yesterday all that changed.  I’m not sure if there is a distinct reason it happened yesterday, but I'm so grateful.  I am not a child of winter, and it truly wears on my soul.



[IMG]http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q525/Ellie-Styles/Tulips.jpg[/IMG]


Now I’m finally looking forward to watching for the first spring flowers that will pop up in our yard:  the crocuses, the daffodils, and the tulips.  It will still be a few weeks here before I spot most of the earliest flowers; but I can wrap my head around that.  In fact, I can use that time to get my plans for our 2013 garden on paper.


We added several large containers last year and I’m pondering what to plant in them for maximum impact.


I’m looking forward to the work of removing a heavy layer of mulch to see how much the soil has improved over the winter.  Hand-tilling also gives me a chance to inspect the soil up close and personal.


I can almost see myself planting new seeds, reinstalling rain barrels, and waiting expectantly for new growth and sustenance.



My dream greenhouse/Pinterest/via the Imperfect Gardener

The problem with winter is that I am a gardener at heart, and so far I’ve had to shut that passion down when the cold winds start to blow.  But once we make our final move, the dream greenhouse is going in, and I’m hopeful that my gardening self will have year-round work!

What are you thinking of planting in your garden this spring?  I’d love to hear about your plans.  Please feel free to leave a comment.  And, as always, thank you for reading my posts!

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time

No comments:

Post a Comment