Friday, July 22, 2011

Hiking with a Vengeance

Photo by Marianne M. Smith
Recently I went hiking with visiting relatives at Edgar Evins State Park, and remembered with a vengeance why I like to disappear into the woods.

Nature takes its time, is nonjudgmental, un-opinionated, usually quiet, and allows space for you to simply be. 




She does not scream for you to be an over-achiever, and the worst thing she delivered that day was poison ivy.

Frost had it right:  “The woods are lovely, dark and deep.”
Photo by Marianne M. Smith

I always come out of the woods different than when I walked in.

These mighty caterpillars were everywhere


And, amazingly, I have fewer words.  So this time I’ll just share some photos taken on our hike and look forward to your comments.  Or, as Thoreau said:  “Our life is frittered away by detail.  Simplify, simplify.”

Natural Bamboo

Center Hill Lake wearing away at the rock

My hiking buds Denise and Ernie Franz

Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

No comments:

Post a Comment