Friday, July 8, 2011

Used Cows For Sale: Rethinking Your Packaging


As a writer, I often disappear into a world of my own making.  But this week has been full of critical business decisions, leaving me firmly planted in the world of marketing and self-promotion.  I’m getting my first novel ready for release, and every decision seems to be loaded enough to bring about either success or failure.


Several times this week I’ve stopped to stare at a favorite tin sign hanging in my kitchen:  “Used Cows for Sale” it proclaims.  The sign always makes me smile, but sometimes it really is about the packaging.  You can sell almost anything if you wrap it right.



Mostly for reasons of autonomy and profit, I’ve decided to self-publish my novel.  Because of evolving technology and changes in the book business, this route offers a lot more independent decision-making.  Book cover choice? Title choice? Online promotion strategy?  These topics have historically been in the hands of Agents/Publishers.  But like many writers in this new era, I’ve decided to take control—making the book a true entrepreneurial venture.

Because of the jump in book sales for e-readers (think Kindle), I’ll be able to sell my book to my readers for less money, and I’ll be able to retain more of the profits than I would with traditional publishing.  Now that sure seems like a win-win to me.



Why is any of this important to you?  I’m simply suggesting that you rethink your packaging.  If you’re selling a product or service, are you doing it with your customer completely in mind?  If you’re selling yourself in some shape or fashion (like a writer does), have you given a lot of thought to how you are perceived and if that fits in with how you need to be perceived to be marketable?

In our current (un)economy you must stand out.  You need to promote your “used cows” in a novel way.  Of course, you also need to stay true to yourself and your vision.  But I, for one, am truly delighted that what is currently selling is uniqueness.  That gives us all permission to be who we are without being so focused on fitting in.


Have you made any significant changes in your packaging lately?  How is that working for you?  I’d love to hear your comments.
Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch

Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com



No comments:

Post a Comment