Friday, September 16, 2011

Reinventing Everything









My husband gets a big kick out of the TV show Picker Sisters.  In case you aren’t familiar with it, two best friends (not actually sisters) hit the road in search of rusted out junk that they can turn into interesting furniture or décor.

The kicker in this for me is that these designers scour the Deep South, and then sell the reinvented stuff in Los Angeles!  My poor misguided brother (bless his heart) lives in L.A., and always comments about how glad he is that he finally escaped The South.  But The South is rising again and being sold for big bucks on Rodeo Drive.  Ah, the irony!


I do love the idea of reinventing everything.  It’s cheap, green, and highly creative.  I’m a big fan of rusted out farm stuff myself, always thinking about what I can do with it next.  The Picker Sisters would score big out in my neck of the woods.


We've also become addicted to Storage Wars, along with most of America.  I guess we all have dreams of finding buried treasure in unlikely places!  The hunt must be a predatory instinct.  It’s why we stop at garage sales and frequent flea markets.  And Antiques Roadshow has a good following because people are blown away by what things are worth (or not worth).




Lately I have begun to look around my house when I think I need to go buy something, to see if I can repurpose something that is already here.  It’s helping me manage our new downsized life and it’s also kind of a fun challenge.  I’ve come up with some crazy ideas that have worked fairly well, and saved money and time in the process.



When the Picker Sisters reinvented an old meat saw as a sink/vanity table, I thought I had seen it all.  But now I’m looking around the farm to see if I can outdo them!

Have you repurposed anything interesting lately?  I’d love to hear about it.  Please comment below, and thanks for reading, ya’ll!
Marianne M. Smith
Writer At The Ranch
Making You Look Brilliant One Word At A Time
http://writerattheranch.com
wordsmith@writerattheranch.com

2 comments:

  1. Good. I've never seen the show and I'm more likely to throw stuff away. Keep on inventing, I have friends that do lots of interesting things with stuff other people throw away.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Stingray: It's a lot of fun to play with the "junk"--and if it doesn't work out you haven't lost anything. Justin (my stepson, for other readers) always inspires me wtih the novel way he looks at objects.

    ReplyDelete